Lavendar is one of my favorite herbs to use! It has such a calming and “beautiful” scent. I love using it in my hair, small drops in my tub to relax as well as using it in some of my food! Here at the bed and breakfast we have used it in soaps we sell in the gift shop as well as body washes, scrubs and shampoos. We also love to use the culinary lavendar in our scones at times.
Here are some of the top benefits of lavendar I found that you might find interesting:
- It is good for treating anxiety, insomnia, depression, and restlessness.
- Consuming lavender as a tea helps digestive issues such as vomiting, nausea, intestinal gas, upset stomach and abdominal swelling.
- It is used to help relieve pain from headaches, sprains, toothaches, and sores.
- And get this – it can also be used to prevent hair loss.
- Lavender oil also has been found to have an acceleratory effect on wound healing.
I have some lavendar that I have grown that make a beautiful landscape addition to our property. I wish I could have enought to make my own oils to use in my products but am so thankful for the small amounts I have! However we are super fortunate to have a gorgeous lavendar farm in the valley of Albuquerque. If you ever get a chance I would definatley recommend going to the Los Poblanos Lavendar Farm. In fact the month of June and July they actually offer a workshops on the uses of lavender.
Here at the bed and breakfast we actually make a scone with lavendar in it. It is our Strawberry Lavendar Scone. If you want to try your hand at this creamy amazing scone here is the recipe:
Makes 12 scones
- 2 cups sifted flour
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted almond slivers
- 4 teaspoons culinary lavender
- 2 ½ tablespoons honey
- Nordic Ware Cast Aluminum Mini-Scone Pan
- KitchenAid RRK150ER 5 Qt. Artisan Series or
- Danish dough Hook
- OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush – Small
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel 4pcs Measuring Cups and Spoons Combo Set
- Pyrex 3-Piece Glass Measuring Cup Set
- Breville BOV900BSS The Smart Oven Air, Silver
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add the strawberries, almonds, 1 teaspoon crushed lavendar and toss gently to combine.
- Add in butter.
- Microwave 1/4 cup cream on high for 30 second intervals until cream simmers. Add 2 teaspoons lavender to the cream and steep for 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl mix together the honey and lavender infused cream. Pour the honey-cream mixture, sour cream and egg into the flour mixture, and stir until dough just comes together.
- Spray scone pan with cooking spray & place dough less than ½ full in each triangle in scone pan.
- Brush tops with additional heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar and crushed lavender.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.