I was trying to come up with some new and creative breakfast dish to make at the bed and breakfast and I think I found it! One of the things I was wanting to do with this dish was to make it a one pan dish in my cast iron skillet. Of course my family was the test run on this dish and on their first bite they all said, “This is Amazing”! Here is what I like to call it:
APPLE-SAUSAGE BREAKFAST PIE
- 1/2 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 1 Large apple peeled & chopped
- Apple Pie Filling (see below on how to make your own)
- 1 1/2 Cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 Cup Baking/Pancake Mix
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 oz chopped green chile
- Heat oven to 375
- in 12″ cast iron skillet break sausage up and brown it.
- Stir in pie filling, apples, green chile
- Spread mixture evenly in cast iron skillet. Top with 3/4 of the cheese
- In large bowl mix up baking mix, salt, pepper and eggs. Pour evenly over cheese.
- Place skillet in oven and Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Top with remaining cheese and bake about 5 more minutes until cheese is melted.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
For the Apple Pie filling I like to make my own. If you don’t want to do that though you can also just buy a can of apple pie filling. If you buy a 21 oz can only add 1/2 of the can to the dish. However if you want to make your own here is how I do it:
Apple Pie Filling:
Keep in mind this is not enough filling for a pie the amount below is just enough for this dish
- 1 large apple peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- Saute apple slices in butter in skillet
- When apples start getting soft add cinnamon, vanilla and flour
- When sauce in skillet with apples starts to thicken turn the heat off.